Thursday 14 January 2016

Rogue Trader - Space Dark Elf Trooper


Hello Friends,
My latest painted miniature is the Space Dark Elf Trooper who was released on the Warhammer 40,00 Rogue Trader March 1987 mail order flyer along with other famous rarities like the Piscean (Saharduin) warrior and the Imperial Bodyguard. A good example of the original miniature can be seen here.

It was an enjoyable miniature to paint and I went with a purple/violet scheme as I done with previous Dark Eldar projects, I think it brings out their malevolence, it is certainly an interesting miniature covered in intricate pipes, tubes and bands which required lots of concentration to paint neatly. His weapon resembles a Flamer but could also be some sort of Shuriken Catapult if that's what you like, his armour is mesh (chainmail) and carapace plates and he is equipped with a power pack for his armour/weapon or some sort of flight pack.

I would probably say the detailing on the sculpt was probably the reason the Space Dark Eldar did not get it's own range, all that tubing must have been tough to cast and must off lead to lots of failed miniatures, I think all examples of miniature I have seen the tubing has small breaks and missing bits in random areas.

Space Dark Elf Trooper - sideview
Space Dark Elf Trooper - front
Space Dark Elf Trooper - sideview
Space Dark Elf Trooper - back

More random miniatures in the pipeline so stay tuned

WIP my current projects

I hope you enjoyed this post so get following
thanks
J

16 comments:

  1. Never seen one of those before. What a rarity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are a fair few about but not many painted as it is consider ugly

      Delete
  2. Wow - never seen this chap before, crazy sculpting! Nice job on the painting dude, I've always struggled to paint Eldar myself :-( I may have to give purple a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks it always good do do another '1st Flyer' miniature :)

      Delete
  3. A very different take on "dark space elf". Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I fine many of the older RT miniatures tough to paint

      Delete
  4. Looks great Jason, I love that colour, not something I'd naturally go to but it fits the character perfectly. The preview pic is very appetizing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks JB, always purple and violet for my Dark Eldar :)

      Delete
  5. Cool result, looking forward for more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Suber I always aim to please lots more coming soon :)

      Delete
  6. What kinda weapon is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A heavy webber - 2" of web, no save. V. effective on genestealers.

      Delete
  7. That's a "webber" from the Rogue Trader era.
    Does anyone have a line on one of these models. I've been looking for one forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew, I don't have a spare, I've seen many of these in all sorts of condition as the wiring on the miniature tends to sheer off leaving dead ends, they always appear on eBay put up by a very well respected community member so watch that space, they never go for mega bucks
      J

      Delete
    2. I could swear I just replied to this. Odd.
      Could you please pass along my email to said party?
      andrewdodd at rocketmail.com
      Thank you.

      Delete
  8. OH! Magnificent. I have now, honestly typed "Dark Elf Space Trooper" daily since I posted here last. No dice. May I ask you to point me in the direction of this eBay person? It seems reading this has lit that fire again. Here's my email.

    andrewdodd at rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete