Saturday 22 August 2015

C13 Kaleb Daark and other work

Hi Friends, today I finally got around to finishing Kaleb Daark, I am not going to go into his history as it has been covered in countless blog posts, here and here are two good Oldhammer blog examples. He has been sitting on my paint station for about 6 months and after several disasters during his paint job I almost threw in the towel as this is the third time I have painted this miniature from it's original purchase back in the late 1980's, be warned neat Vallejo game colour Black wash is very dark, I spend hours getting the perfect black following the teachings of an artist I once read saying there is no such colour as black and after several shades of grey (ooer) I was almost finished and then decided to give the miniatures a wash of Vallejo game colour Black wash to add more depth, the miniature turned out like a lump of dusty coal, anyway I put a lot of work in salvaging rather than stripping the miniature and am sort of happy with the end result, I have tried to stay true to the comic strip a homage to the late Brett Ewins with the shield and helmet design but the miniature did deviate from the comic strip in many places which also wasn't always the same in every illustration, I hope you like.

Kaleb Daark on his mutant warsteed
Side view displaying his shield design
Front view with Dreadaxe
Side View 2
Front view 2
Next we have C27 Chaos Beastman 'Kiss of Death', a collection I have now completed :), this miniature I managed to acquire for £2 from a member of the Facebook Oldhammer Trading Group as it had a broken club which I easily replaced with a club from the Warhammer Empire Militia plastics, heresy I know but it looked right to me. 

Kiss of Death - front
Kiss of Death - back
I  always like to do my own research on my miniatures and try to stay clear of others findings as this can be taken as the final answer, I have convinced myself that the 'Kiss of Death' Beastman was not a new sculpt but a modification of another which is very common in early Citadel miniature ranges so after much searching I think the base miniature for this sculpt is from the C32 Slann range either Polo Slave 1 or Slave 2, I think you would agree that the club on Slave 2 is very similar to the 'Kiss of Death' Beastman's original club (if you have him to look at close up), other evidence is that the C27 Chaos Beastman were sculpted by Trish Morrison and the C32 Slann Trish and Ally Morrison are credited as the sculptors.  Not a easy miniature to find painted examples of but I managed to find one by Orlygg on realmofchaos80s, go check it out here.

Next we have some Runequest Broo, the original Chaos Beastmen, it's funny that I acquired these miniatures in a battered none padded envelope in the pub when meeting up with a mate, we were both wrecked and the miniatures were too, originally painted in the early 80's they required a lot of TLC to bring them back from the brink of destruction, not the greatest paint jobs but I had battered painted miniatures with dark grey patches and lead oxidation in places to play with so I was happy with the restorations.


Sometimes charity costs you dearly (well in time anyway)
FF68 Goat-headed Ogre always considered a Broo with the addition of a old, old Citadel Orc axehead

The next 3 are from the Runequest Box 4c: The Broo


Broo with Dagger
Broo with spiked mace
Rhino Headed Broo (I have many more of these to paint up :D)

Thanks for visiting, now get following
J

11 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely paint jobs. I especially like the Kaleb Daark. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the kind words, painting time is at a premium at the moment, it was just nice to get something finished :)

      Delete
  2. WOOOO ! What a treat Jason ! Kaleb and a bunch of Broos and beatsmen !
    Kaleb's shield is especially nice and I love the slightly different hue you gave to the horse, those are the kind of details that make a difference.
    Funny thing because I was just convinced to get back working on my Kaleb 2.0 the other day and it's actually being finished now ! (great minds they say...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and thanks for the plug !

      Delete
    2. thanks JB, the horse turned out a lot brighter as it was painted months before and didn't get the disastrous black wash. I am off over to read your blog in a minute :)

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done.
    I like how you have painted Kaleb Daark. Nice work on the shield and base, and the horse colour was a good choice as well.

    I like the Broo too! I especially like the depth on the Rhino Headed Broo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I have a better Rhino Headed Broo coming in the future, he was a restoration but it didn't turn out too bad :)

      Delete
  4. It's good to see Kaleb getting a lick of paint, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Paul, I really need to get some Sci-fi output going, you stuff is rocking as usual :)

      Delete
  5. Your Kaleb is amazing - I love the bold black and white scheme -- it just makes him jump! It also highlights what a crazy profile both he and his horse have... what splendid miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Matthew, in my book Kaleb needs to be black and white although the amount of bloodletting he does I could imagine covered head to toe in dark brown and red, crazy profile indeed a challenging miniature to paint, thanks J

      Delete