Saturday 13 September 2014

Rogue Trader - Piscean Warrior

Hi Folks,
Here is my Piscean warrior or Saharduin to some of you sculpted by Diego Serrate over on the Oldhammer forum and Facebook community, Pisceans are a xenos race of fish like creatures that first made an appearance on the first March 1987 Warhammer 40K mail order flyer (which I have somewhere), the race never saw the light of day in the Rogue Trader book, I guess as it was a larger miniature the logistics of making them into a viable race at the time would prove difficult.  Due to it's scarcity the original citadel miniature goes for quite a price on Ebay nowadays so Diego done all the Rogue Trader fans out there a favour and sculpted his own interpretation of the Piscean warrior that cost less than a modern day metal space marine, personally I prefer his version as the bolt gun on the original Piscean warrior did not sit right with me.  I would like to think he is equipped with some sort of needle pistol (mini harpoons?), a giant shark knife to fend off the predators of his planet and a reverse Aqua-lung to pipe H2O into his gills for survival.

I painted the Piscean warrior as if he was coming out of the sea and originally I had gloss varnished him as a wet effect but the iPhone camera didn't like it so I Vallejo matt varnished him.
Piscean warrior - right side
Piscean warrior - left side
Piscean warrior - front

Here is the inspiration for my colour scheme, I was Action Force mad as a kid until first year senior school when I discovered D&D


Action Force 'Q' Force Diver

March 1987 Warhammer 40K mail order flyer

Here are some painted versions of the original miniature from Solgends

Thanks for visiting and please follow :)

10 comments:

  1. Looks good! The one suggestion I would make is that instead of a dot for the pupil on the eye, paint a horizontal line. That way he doesn't look like he's just been surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Andrew, thanks I wanted to give him the no eye lids look, I have not heard the horizontal line eye ball before and will certainly be giving it a go,
      cheers
      J

      Delete
  2. I dunno, I kind of like his surprised/cross look. "OMG WTF my people didn't get a full codex?". This is a wild mini, kind of silly but definitely fun. And your action figure paint scheme fits that to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Allison, thank you, imagine if they had got a full codex, we would have under water guard and scuba marines to do battle with them ;)
      cheers
      J

      Delete
    2. Hey... if someone could come up with underwater Stormtroopers for SW... this would also have happened.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I'm surprised for the good, I thought that painting that in grey may look too dark or dull, but you proved me absolutely wrong! You found the balance between colours, I really like it! Mine will show in a different way, with flashy colours, but I can say yours works really, really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Suber, I did google image a few photos of tuna and dolphins first for inspiration but in the end I just used a wet palette of various vallejo greys, can't wait to see yours ;-)

      Delete
  4. People seem to be all coming up with good versions of teh fishman. I haveto hurry before all good ideas are gone !

    I really like how you used bright colours for teh equipment and subdued ones for the fish himself, it really makes a ice contrast between the natural part and the tech ones.

    I think th eeyes are just fine the way they are, fish have no eye lids and their eyes are just like this anyway.

    Great job as always Jason !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah JB but you are a space minotaur ahead of us fishmen :D I hope to see yours soon, I may do mine next month, thanks for the good feedback :)

      Delete
  5. How have I never seen this mini before??
    That is extreme, RT at its best! =)

    ReplyDelete